I am going to be a professional teacher!  Service learning has helped me with this decision.

I came to UVU a year and a half ago.  I already have a bachelors degree in music.  I never got my music teaching degree even though I should have.  I taught private voice and piano lessons for years and my favorite part was the interactions with the students and seeing them find confidence in learning new skills.

So, I came to UVU specifically to be a teacher.  In my history courses, we've been reading a lot.  And I've loved it.  This semester I started some of my education classes.  And to be honest, I wasn't loving them.  The classes kind of make teaching seem way scary.  But then when I would go to my service learning, I could see what it really is all about.  The teacher still gets to have the student interactions and still gets to help them find confidence in learning new skills.  Knowing that my end goal is that, and I just have to get through the classes, has helped me get through this semester!

I have eight classes left and then I will be student teaching next Winter semester.  It seems a long way away, but at the same time, right around the corner.  Observing teachers and learning new ways to teach has been the highlight of this semester.


Comments